In an earlier article, I have explained the advantages and disadvantages of miniature circuit breaker (MCB).
Here, we will study the advantages and disadvantages of molded case circuit breaker (MCCB) over fuse and MCB.
Advantages (or Pros) of MCCB | Uses
- The molded case circuit breaker (MCCB) has compact in size. So, it requires less space.
- This component is very easy to handle and move.
- The fundamental advantage of MCCB is to protect the power circuit from overcurrent or short circuit conditions.
- Also, it can easily sense faults and secure the system from hazardous situations.
- MCCB has high carrying current capacities (from 100A to 1kA) than the MCB.
- This circuit breaker can quickly handle abnormal conditions and interrupt the heavy current than the fuse.
- This device also has auxiliary contact to connect or fit multiple accessories. For example, an alarm system can be connected.
- MCCB has an adjustable trip setting for low-current applications.
- During a fault, it takes very less time for a reset and switch on.
- For commercial or industrial purposes, MCCB is used for large current-carrying applications.
- It works as a protective and switching device for the feeder circuit. Especially, it is used in medium and low-voltage distribution systems.
- This MCCB has more advantages that provide good reliability, high current interrupter switches, and easy installations on the panel.
These are the basic pros of MCCB as compared to the miniature circuit breaker and fuse. It has fewer disadvantages. The cost of MCCB is high than MCB and fuse.
Thanks for Reading!
Read some related articles:
- Types of circuit breaker
- Fuse vs Circuit breaker
- Substation components
- Overhead lines components
- Insulating materials & insulation classes
- Single phase vs Three phase AC system
I have completed master in Electrical Power System. I work and write technical tutorials on the PLC, MATLAB programming, and Electrical on DipsLab.com portal.
Sharing my knowledge on this blog makes me happy. And sometimes I delve in Python programming.