In this article, we will study what are the advantages and disadvantages of high voltage transmission.
Advantages of High Voltage Transmission
- The high voltage transmission requires a thin conductor.
- It carries or transmits bulk power over a long distance.
- It improves the voltage regulation and reduces the voltage drop.
- This transmission has a good tendency to increase power efficiency at high voltage levels.
- It reduces the power losses (especially line losses).
- Extra high voltage (EHV) transmission provides good flexibility for enhancing future systems.
Disadvantages of High Voltage Transmission
- The initial cost of installation and required material are very high.
- More amount of protective devices (such as transformers, switchgear, overhead components, etc) are needed.
- It also requires relay, contractor and circuit breaker to avoid hazardous situations.
- A high length tower is needed that creates more clearance in between conductors and the ground.
- More insulations are required.
- More corona loss occurs in high voltage transmission.
- While transmitting bulk power, more hissing noise is created.
- For the higher transmission installation, huge space is essential. In today’s world. the cost of land is very high.
These are the basic pros (or advantages) and cons (or disadvantages) of high voltage transmission. If you have any queries, you can ask through the comment below.
Thanks for Reading!
Read more related articles:
- Transmission line vs Distribution line
- AC transmission vs DC transmission lines
- Overhead line vs Underground line
- Single-phase vs Three-phase AC systems
- Star connection vs Delta connection
- Ferranti effect & SIL
- Skin effect
- Proximity effect
- On-grid vs Off-grid systems
- Conductor vs Insulator
- Core transformer vs Shell transformer
I have completed master in Electrical Power System. I work and write technical tutorials on the PLC, MATLAB programming, and Electrical on DipsLab.com portal.
Sharing my knowledge on this blog makes me happy. And sometimes I delve in Python programming.