What do you know about anti-static wrist straps?
“How to use an anti-static wrist strap?”, If you are one of those people who search for the answer to that question, I’ll tell you this article that will explain what that technology is, and why you need it.
In addition to that, what is the correct way to use it? Follow us.
How to use an anti-static wrist strap?
Before responding to this question: how to use an anti-static wrist strap? Let me tell you about it.
You may see the technicians wear anti-static wrist straps when they build the computers and in the repair centers of computers or heard about that.
The anti-static wrist strap includes conductive threads and a metal piece that is continuous to the ground.
Simply, the anti-static wrist strap is used to ensure the voltage difference in the device and that your body is balanced out.
In another word, an anti-static wrist strap is a useful tool to protect electronic parts from static discharge.
That is by grounding it with that tool.
As a result, the excess static charge in the body will dissipate right away.
You use it to provide protection to your devices like a Computer, Laptop, T.V, or any other electrical devices.
The anti-static comes with various colors of wrist straps but it doesn’t indicate any level of protection.
That brightly colored color allows for a quick see that the person wears their ESD or anti-static device.
In addition to that, they also stand out on a table or workbench to make it easier to find and put on.
Why do you need it when building computers?
For example, if you want to avoid electrostatic discharge or as known ESD through building computers.
You may have experienced ESD, and an example of that is if you try a shock if you touch a doorknob after you walk on a carpet.
The computer includes parts that even the slightest ESD could risk damaging the hardware or the component, rendering them useless.
Or you may not want to risk your newly purchased worse, or graphics card or motherboard.
How to use an anti-static wrist strap?
Now, I can give you the answer to your question: how to use an anti static wrist strap?
Here let me introduce two ways: one of them is grounding, while the second one is bounding.
The grounding technique ensures the dispersal of any errant static charges into the ground through a conductor.
One method is Grounding The Anti Static Wrist Strap To The Grounding the Power Supply, is that by following these steps:
- Wear the strim strap with the metal part that touches your skin, you can wear it anywhere on your body.
- After that, turn the power supply OFF, then plug the power cord into the outlet.
- Clipping the alligator clip on the power supply screw or you can clip it on the PSU fans grills.
Any metal object must do so as long as bare metal or metal that isn’t painted as a few paints have insulating contents, and others don’t.
- Make sure that all things are ok, through this process you must ensure you are grounded and any charge must dissipate right away.
The second method is Bounding The Anti Static Wrist Strap to the Grounding Pin by following these steps:
- Wear the anti-static wrist strap with the metal touching your skin.
- You should know where the grounding pin is located before you attach the alligator clip.
Based on the place that you are located where the grounding pin is, the electrocuted risk is high, if you are playing the games in choosing the right pin.
- Clipping the alligator clip to the grounding pin which is based on your location.
- Now, you can work on your installation, and don’t worry about risking damaging parts with ESD.
This method equals the electric potential between your body and the computer without causing any damaging surge of static electricity.
- First, turn off your computer, then disconnect the power, then hit on the PC’s “on” button to drain any retaining current from the circuitry.
- Wrap the band around your wrist where the metal disc touches the skin, then secure it with velcro or tighten it.
- Locate the alligator clip that sits at the end of the cord attached to the strap, then connect it to the non-painted metal part from the PC case.
What are the things you must do?
After you know the answer of: how to use an anti static wrist strap?, there are some things you need to do.
- It’s very important to make sure if the switch is off before beginning anything.
- Touch a pipe, radiator or any metallic parts of the building plumbing that discharges any errant static energy on your body. It’s a good option to touch a grounded power supply if the power switch is turned off.
- Working on an open PC must be left to the morning or nighttime where the humidity levels are higher.
- Don’t handle the parts using the circuit board, capacitors or any other smaller components, use edge and gently grip heatsinks, it’s less likely to suffer from static shock damage.
- Avoid carpeted surfaces or rubbing clothes that are made from synthetic fibers, it is better to stick from cotton. So the friction caused by these actions can build up a static charge.
- It is better to buy an anti-static strap and mat combo where the strap plugs into the mat directly.
- The anti-static bags that components like GPUs ship in work are a treat. it has a conductive outer layer that can discharge errant static electricity.
Finally, that was all about that question: how to use an anti-static wrist strap? You can buy it when the need is required.
Getting to know an anti-static wrist strap, explaining how to use it and when you need it.
I’m an automation and computer engineer, researcher, and writer of technical and engineering articles on technical issues and electrical and electronic devices.