Induction motor is very popular in commercial and industrial applications. Especially, the squirrel cage induction motor is one of the best.
Recently, the squirrel cage induction motor is known as one of the most efficient and beneficial motors. Even industrial heavy-loaded appliances and drives work on this motor. Moreover, the cage induction motor comes with more benefits and advantages.
Here, we will study what are the advantages of a squirrel cage induction motor over a slip ring. Also, look at the disadvantages.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Squirrel Cage Induction Motor
Why is a squirrel cage induction motor more often used than a wound (slip ring) induction motor?
Let’s dive into the basic merits and demerits.
Advantages (or Pros) of Squirrel Cage Induction Motor
- The construction of the squirrel cage induction motor is simple as compared to the slip-ring induction motors.
- Less conducting materials are needed for the cage induction motor.
- Especially, the rotor of the squirrel cage induction motor has fewer winding turns as compared to the rotor of the slip ring induction motor.
- There is no more equipment (such as brushes, slip rings, etc) required or inbuilt in this motor.
- The maintenance of the squirrel cage motor is less.
- The cost of the cage motor is cheaper than the wound motor.
- This motor has a good ability to regulate the constant speed.
- There is no require a continuously adjustable-speed drive.
- This motor has high efficiency and good reliability.
- The squirrel cage induction motor is used for a wide range of applications in industries. Approximately 90% of industrial motors and drives work under this induction motor.
- Also, this is very beneficial and useful for more commercial appliances like as fans, pumps, blowers, printing machines, drilling machines, conveyors, lathes, etc.
- In this motor, good cooling is available due to the presence of more space in rotor slots. So, less heat is generated.
- There are fewer risks for sparking.
- The copper loss in the squirrel cage induction motor is minimum.
Disadvantages (or Cons) of Squirrel Cage Induction Motor
- The squirrel cage induction motor has minimum starting torque.
- In this cage motor, speed can not be easily controlled.
- It has a high starting current.
- Few chances to improve the power factor.
- The squirrel cage induction motor has more sensitivity while fluctuation occurs in supply voltage.
I have covered all the basic pros and cons of the squirrel cage induction motor as compared to the slip ring induction motor.
Read more details: the difference between squirrel cage and slip ring induction motor with considering basic specifications.
If you have any queries related to the benefits and drawbacks of cage motors, please give comments.
Thanks for Reading!
Read some related articles:
- Stator vs Rotor
- Slip Ring vs Split Ring
- Motor vs Generator
- Alternator vs Generator
- Different Types of Measuring Instruments
- Transmission Line vs Distribution Line
- Direct Online Starter
- Electric Vehicle on BLDC
I have completed master in Electrical Power System. I work and write technical tutorials on the PLC, MATLAB programming, and Electrical on DipsLab.com portal.
Sharing my knowledge on this blog makes me happy. And sometimes I delve in Python programming.