In an earlier article, we studied the advantages and disadvantages of squirrel cage induction motors with basic specifications. It performs a major role in industrial and commercial applications.
But, it has some drawbacks. Everywhere is not comfortable for working.
So, here I am describing another type of induction motor i.e. slip ring induction motor with its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Disadvantages of Slip Ring Induction Motor
Why is a slip-ring induction motor preferred over a squirrel cage induction motor?
Advantages (Pros) of Slip Ring Induction Motor
- The slip ring induction motor provides smooth acceleration as compared to the squirrel cage induction motor.
- The slip-ring induction motor has a better ability to easily regulate the speed.
- This motor provides high starting torque.
- And it has less starting current that provides flexibility for the operation of heavy-load applications.
- The main pros of this motor is to increase starting torque by providing external resistance in the rotor circuit.
- This is very convenient and essential where motors or drives (for example cranes, elevators, hoists, conveyors, centrifugal pumps, etc.) required high starting torque.
- It performs good operation and speed regulation in traction applications.
Disadvantages (Cons) of Slip Ring Induction Motor
- The construction of a slip-ring induction motor is quite difficult due to the presence of additional equipment (like brushes, slip rings, short-circuiting devices, etc).
- It is more expensive over the squirrel cage induction motor.
- For starting slip ring induction motor, this motor requires additional support (i.e. rotor resistance starter).
- More copper losses are found in this motor.
- The efficiency and power factor are less than the squirrel cage induction motor. So, it is rarely used in industries.
- The maintenance is high due to connecting the external power circuit.
These 13 are the basic pros and cons of slip-ring induction motors over squirrel cage induction motors.
If you have any queries or points to add, you can comment below.
Thanks for Reading!
Read some related articles:
- Stator vs Rotor
- Slip Ring vs Split Ring
- Motor vs Generator
- Alternator vs Generator
- Different Types of Measuring Instruments
- Transmission Line vs Distribution Line
- Direct Online Starter
- Electric Vehicle on BLDC
I have completed master in Electrical Power System. I work and write technical tutorials on the PLC, MATLAB programming, and Electrical on DipsLab.com portal.
Sharing my knowledge on this blog makes me happy. And sometimes I delve in Python programming.