What is the Scope of Smart Irrigation System?
Irrigation is a process of providing the desire amounts of water to the agricultural land. This process is very beneficial in minimizing runoffs or drought situations for the croup’s cultivation.
Due to alarming changes in the climate, farmers cannot rely on natural rainwater.
Irrigation is important to yield good quality crops in the seasonable or non-seasonable period.
For modern agriculture, a smart irrigation system is one of the best techniques that give more production in minimum duration. To many extend, this smart irrigation system is designed and fully automated to minimize manual handling in agriculture.
And one of the good things is that it is very comfortable for users (or farmers) to understand the concept of IoT and sensors for smart irrigation.
It can help you to learn how various sensors can be deployed and utilization of their data to generate events and control irrigation systems.
Here, we are listed the few sensors which are inbuilt in the smart irrigation system.
- soil moisture sensor
- soil temperature sensor
- solar radiation sensor
- leaf wetness sensor (to provide on demand water supply)
- flow sensor
Each sensor plays a specific role in the automatic irrigation system. Also, it requires some technical components such as switch, relay, water pump, sprinkler, actuator, battery, LCD display, buzzer, 10 DIN socket, voltmeter, ammeter, software, interface software modules (like USB, Wi-Fi, Zigbee), etc.
Here, we will see some features and advantages of a smart irrigation system
Features of Automatic Irrigation System using IoT
- The smart irrigation system is self-explanatory and user friendly plant watering system.
- In this system, Arduino software is mostly compatible to operate the hardware module.
- For the monitoring and controlling the water pump and sprinkles, the multiple sensors and activator are used.
- This system is used for monitoring and controlling water pump and sprinkler with the help of software applications.
- Battery smart sensor gateway for sensor connectivity is provided.
- USB, zigbee, and Wi-Fi connectivity for computer interface are needed.
- In this system, buzzer, input and output switches are provided for testing.
- Wi-Fi connectivity and android app are provided for field testing.
- This smart system has software to view a sensor’s real time graph analysis on PC and mobile.
Advantages of Smart Irrigation System using IoT
- The smart irrigation system is user friendly platform to learn and enhance your skill about smart watering system.
- It can provide high accuracy water supply and avoid water from wastage.
- Due to automatically handling, user requires less man power.
- With the help of the sensors, it can accurately determine the soil moisture levels.
- It can easily detect and control the temperature, humidity, solar radiation using sensors.
- This system automatically provides water supply to the field. User can manually operate (turn ON or OFF) valve.
- This system helps to produce good quality of crops and improves economic condition.
This IoT-based smart irrigation monitoring and controlling system are very easy to increase crop production at any season with less time, less effort, and more profitable.
Thanks for Reading!
If You Appreciate What I Do Here On DipsLab, You Should Consider:
DipsLab is the fastest growing and most trusted community site for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. All the published articles are available FREELY to all.
If you like what you are reading, please consider buying me a coffee ( or 2 ) as a token of appreciation.
This will help me to continue my services and pay the bills.
I’m thankful for your never-ending support.
I have completed master in Electrical Power System. I work and write technical tutorials on the PLC, MATLAB programming, and Electrical on DipsLab.com portal.
Sharing my knowledge on this blog makes me happy. And sometimes I delve in Python programming.